My Photo
Name:
Location: Ball Ground, GA, United States

Wednesday, December 12, 2007

A Three-Part Reading Assignment

Okay ... so I get aggravated when people never post on their blogs - especially those blogs that I visit to read. So why do I never blog? It's so much trouble...

I commented on a friend's page. I thought it would make a nice blog on my page - so here it is (edited somewhat).

Your reading assignment:

Never let it be said that I missed the chance to recommend books! Here are three to start with, when you're done with these I have more for you.


1. "Mere Christianity" by C.S. Lewis. This is one of the most insightful books that I have ever read concerning God, Christians and Christianity other than the Holy Bible. This book is a transcript from a series of radio talks given in the early 1940's by Professor Lewis then edited into a readable format. In four books within this book, Lewis will expound on what is at the center of things Christian. Whether you are an Apologetic or simply a Christian who seeks a deeper understanding of "what it is all about," this book will make you think.

2. "The Jesus I Never Knew" - Phillip Yancey. Everyone who grows up in our society has a prconception of who Jesus is, was or may be. Some never get past this preconception - some grow to know him in one way and others in another. This book will challenge your preconceptions and offer an analysis of Jesus and offer insight to the person He was on Earth - the humanity of Jesus, on why He came - His mission and His teachings, and on what He left behind for us. This book is written with easy to read language and offers much insight for all Christians from the baby to the mature. It was called "... [P]robably the best book about Jesus in the whole century" and from my limited knowledge, I would have to agree.

3. "The Screwtape Letters" C.S. Lewis. Normally, I would not assign two texts from the same author, however, there is no way around it in this three part reading assignment. This book is a must-read for anyone whose "...struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms." (Eph 6:12) Written, originally, as a seies of newspaper articles, Lewis assumes the persona of a demon who advises his nephew, an apprentice, in ways to turn a human away from God. Sometimes it is the simplest means - sometimes it may be more overt. It is important to know thine enemy - and recognize when his minions are at work.

Those should keep you busy for a week or so. If you would like something "fun" to read, (not that studying all things Christian isn't fun, but) or perhaps something with a historical bend, then I can recommend those as well. Let me know what you think, I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on these titles.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home